Sunday, May 9, 2010

Beauty and Motherhood are One

If you haven't watched this yet, it touched me today as I thought about being a Mom and thought about my kids:
My New Life
I woke up last night in a panic because I had a dream that I was at the airport by myself and I lost my kids (I know, what a perfect dream to have the night before Mother's Day!). I frantically searched everywhere, and magically friends showed up, many friends, past friends, new friends, and helped me look for them. We couldn't find them anywhere, and I got frustrated when many of the personnel at the airport weren't taking me very seriously. One woman went on the intercom, thinking that telling them to come to a certain spot would be a surefire way to get them back and I just felt despairity as I thought "Chloe is 3, she has no idea where she is and she won't know how to get to me when she hears this!" I finally found them in the airport bar, where they were happily dancing to the music and oblivious to the fact that they were lost. When I got out of bed, though, I teared up as I came downstairs and saw a large card on the table with a wrapped present underneath it. I had to wait to open it because Craig had already put the kids down for their "pre-church rest time". I could tell it was a book of some sort when I moved it to eat breakfast, and I thought perhaps Craig had found the next book to a series I was reading. When the kids were done napping, however, I opened it and found two books that weren't at all what I was expecting. One was a book that we have and I already started, James E. Talmage's "Jesus the Christ" , except it was a larger, nicer, hard bound copy of it with my favorite picture of Christ on the front, and the other was "Believing in Christ" by Steven E. Robinson. Chloe had the biggest smile ever on her face as I opened it and read the card, and Linus kept excitedly pointing to the books and saying "Jesus! Jesus!". Craig came in and said, "I thought it would help give you something to do while we are at church on Sundays". My heart melted. What a lucky, lucky mother I am to have a husband, a family, who support me and want for me to be close to my Savior. Is there anything better than that? I had a glimpse, for a moment, of what it is like to have an eternal, celestial family, where we all serve and love each other, and we all serve and love Christ. We finished the morning and I did Chloe's hair and I tickled Linus and watched them laugh and gallop around the house while Craig got everything ready to put the kids in the car and go to church. I cannot even put into words what a change I've seen in our family since this whole pregnancy came upon us- and the changes I've seen in myself. Craig has not even flinched as he began uloading my yoke off my back and taking it upon himself- I often marvel at him and marvel at the fluidity our household has maintained as he whisks around and takes care of his work as well as mine for me, and I think "how is he able to do this?!" And I know then that it is through the blessings our household is receiving, through the angels that are bearing us up all around us, that this peace has been in our home. It is because we turned towards Christ, instead of ourselves, that we have found strength. And it is through the many heartfelt prayers that we have offered and that those angels, family, friends, coworkers, everyone around us have offered, that we have been blessed.
"When suffering, we may in fact be nearer to God than we've ever been in our entire lives"

No comments: