Monday, May 25, 2009

Green thumbs...or toes...


It's been rainy the last few days, but despite the weather, we finally got around to weeding the jungle in our front garden. And I don't use the word "jungle" lightly. While digging out some of the monster dandelions (seriously the biggest I've ever seen!) I kept waiting for one of them to sprout open and start singing "FEED ME, SEMOUR!" Nonetheless, our strawberries that have run amock throughout the jungle now have a little breathing room, and if we can manage to keep those pesky birds in our yard away from them, we may actually have a sizeable crop of fresh homegrown strawberries this year.
Chloe was outside with us and after watching us for a few minutes was determined to get herself some tools and help out. She would point to my spade and say "Mommy, I need it". After we were through with most of the weeding (THANKS AMBER, DANIEL, and SCOTT!!!) we let her have a go at weeding. It was quite humorous to see her use the tools like salad tongs trying to get whatever vegetation was closest to her into the bucket, be it weed or not.


I especially like this pose. Gardening on your stomach must be some secret trick or something...Our spoils:

I just loved the way the dew collected on the corners of the strawberry leaves, so I had to share it with you all. :-)
For all you with greener thumbs than me, happy gardening this year!

4 comments:

Alli Howe said...

I love the picture of Chloe in the grass! Phin is also into "helping" with chores. He will sweep the sidewalk with me. I use the broom and he uses one of my big blush brushes. He also loves to have his own rag to scrub the floor when I am mopping. Aren't kids the best!

Tiffany said...

I absolutely love your pics! The lighting is perfect! You are an amazing photographer! Chloe is a doll!

The Waltz's said...

Gardening! We've been trying out gardening this year on our 8th floor balcony...not quite the same :)

Katielin317 said...

Dang she is cute. Emmie just planted a sunflower. It's so much fun to watch them grow and learn and *experience*. Life sure is sweet