Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mormon Blogging

I've been thinking a lot about blogging lately. I recently read an article a friend of mine posted on facebook (that I later reposted on my own page) about this self-proclaimed feminist atheist woman who was addicted to reading mormon womens' blogs. She loved their sense of thrift, creativity, motherhood, simpleness, etc, but couldn't accurately figure out why because of her own beliefs, which she thought were opposite to theirs. It was a pretty good article if anyone is interested in reading it here.
So, then I started looking at the bloggers of the women she was reading constantly, and then reading the blogs that they followed, and the blogs that they followed and so on. A lot of things sort of rubbed me the wrong way and I had a hard time pinpointing what it was. Some, not all, of the mormon women seemed to, in my opinion, almost pride themselves in the fact that yes, they were mormon, but not a so called "main-stream" mormons. It was their beliefs in things that were different than what every other mormon believed that made them unique, stand out, more intelligent, more independent. One particular woman was in the process of applying to graduate school at BYU and was now questioning whether or not she should delete some of her previous entries for fear that if an administrator read her blog, some of her opinions could disqualify her from acceptance. Her friends than encouraged her to stand by what she wrote and don't be afraid of what anyone else thinks.
I think back on when I was in high school and the word "fake" became very prevelant. "He's so fake, I would never date him." "I can't believe she said that, she's so fake," implying that there are people out there who exist, with morals, standards, likes and dislikes, but who ignore them for the sake of popularity. It was an extension of the insecurity that ALL teenagers have about popularity. No one knows if they are popular or not, not even the popular ones. However, if I can identify others who are doing things just because they want to be popular, than I can separate myself from that and prove that I don't really care about popularity. I certainly wouldn't have said this at the time, but years later while interacting with some teenagers, I heard that same word crop up, fake. And I immediately thought, "Oh, they are just children still, and can't see that putting themselves above others in that way only brings pain."
But don't we still do that a lot? Especially as women, and especially, unfortunately, sometimes as mormon women. I think when it comes to what the world thinks, sometimes we are insecure about looking like the zombie barbie-looking housewife who's greatest concern in life is what kind of Jell-O her husband wants with dinner that night and who loves and thanks every member of the ward at testimony meeting each month and who has no intelligence, integrity, or reality in herself at all. Even to each other we tend to do it. So we dip a little bit into what the world thinks about issues and butter it on our bread a little bit to show everyone that hey, I'm mormon, but I'm real too.
Personally, I realized this is sort of like having a home in Zion and a summer house in Babylon, and it doesn't really work. It caused me to reflect back on the things I do, even in relief society or at church, and try to put myself out there as "different", when I should be putting myself out there as someone who can help and lift and serve and who doesn't care if you eat Jell-O or if you breastfeed your children until they are twenty or if you proclaim yourself and tell everyone that you crochet AND do photography AND blog AND teach music (....ahem....)...
Anyway, point of all this being, I just feel like God made people different. But in faith, we should all be one. We celebrate our differences, not criticize them, but we proclaim the same faith and the same standards and the same God, because we love God, and the only reason we should do anything in life is because we love Him. If we carry His name upon us, and proclaim ourselves as members of his church, than we should represent him in all that we do, be we zombie-house wives or crocheting, blogging, singing, photographers. :-)
And....going on day TWO of sever-weather school cancellation. There's probably a good reason I'm not at home all the time...

6 comments:

Kristen said...

That is perfect. I read that article a few weeks ago on one of my friends blogs too. It really made me think. And honestly it made me change the way I think about myself and talk about myself. I thought about writing a blog just like this. Well done.

Katielin317 said...

I love love love this. I agree with you all the way. I caught myself in this very trap this past summer. We tend to validate ourselves by those things that make us different from everyone else by proclaiming "I do this and this and this..." But I realized that the women that I respect and admire the most are the ones who are just quietly living their lives and doing what they know is right and simply enjoying the things that perhaps make them different without advertising. Anyway, I'm off to go read that article now:)

Milmonster said...

Thanks for putting things back into perspective Chels. Amen!

James and Talai Macfarlane said...

You are a beautiful writer! Thank you - I love this! It really made me think.

Alli Howe said...

I'm always happy when you have a soap box blog post. It is always a joy to read. You have a great brain and an even better heart.

Nathan and Bonnie said...

Wow. I haven't been on your blog in waaay too long, and I apologize. I read that same article, and I couldn't put my finger on what didn't sit great with me, and you my friend, have totally nailed it. I love it. I agree whole-heartedly. I miss you!