Saturday, February 26, 2011

A new calling

So a couple of weeks ago I was assigned at church to be the primary chorister (I teach kids how to sing! Finally, my dream calling has come true...). So have I had fun practicing all the songs and learning all the words and using my skills to fulfill a purpose at church? Yes. But what I've also rediscovered is my dormant artistic skills.
A little known fact about Mrs. Ellingson is that she loves to draw. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm not particularly bad at it when I put my mind to it either. I haven't done anything too detailed lately, but this new job has kept me particularly busy. Music time in primary always has fun little games where kids come up and choose a picture (leaves on a tree, petals on a flower, etc...)on the board and read what's on the back to dictate what they will sing. Or have the creatively made pictures to help kids remember what the words are. I don't know who started that tradition back in the eons of time when singing time in primary evolved, but I don't think music time would be music time at church without those games. Anyway, this has been a perfect opportunity to start my music game/words collection. Not only that, but I've been meaning to make some things like this for family night lessons for the kids, but have never gotten around to it. Now I have a reason to do it!
Anyway, so far I've made two games: one is to help review songs (for different songs I'll have to make different dice). The second is another one I'm starting for wiggle songs for the little kids- they are zoo animals- the zoo animals have "been in their cages too long" and kids can come pick an animal that has a particular wiggle song on the back. I'll test it out this Sunday if I can make enough animals.
PS- I have fallen in love with Sarah Jane. When I was in high school, I had two choices for my creative outlets, basically. One was choir/music, the other was art. To begin with, I took an art class and choir classes. Then I had a really bad art teacher, and also figured out that art meant work, and let's be honest. I was a teenager. Choir wasn't as much work. Someday I will go back and take some painting/watercolor classes I think, because I never made it that far in art before I dropped the class. Sarah Jane makes me want to drop everything I'm doing and start drawing for kids' books. Like majorly. I can't look through her stuff too long without feeling like I'm wasting my life not creating something as DARLLINGLY cute as her stuff is.



I borrowed the elephant from Sarah Jane. It's not exactly the same, but it was too cute not to try to imitate!







4 comments:

liz said...

Really cute art work.

Liz Strong

Katielin317 said...

Cute stuff girlfriend! I've been in this calling since November 09 and have LOVED it! It is so fun and I have learned so much. I know you'll thrive in front of those kids, theyr'e so lucky to have you!

Milmonster said...

Nice job. You are going to make a great chorister!

jeanette said...

Raw talent!