Monday, January 17, 2011

What I love about thrift stores...

Two trips to find other things, stumbled on 25 books, including several additions to our Bearenstein Bears, Curious George, Madeline, and some of these luscious titles:




This book received an audible gasp from me when I found it: I had this book when I was a kid and a flood of memories came back when I saw the title- the chocolate ice cream, the tooth necklace, the tooth fairy, everything. Very exciting.

I love Jan Brett- I also got the Gingerbread Baby by her as well while on one of these trips, The Lost Mitten was probably one of my favorite books when I was a kid, but when I came home and opened up the Owl and the Pussycat, I was thrilled to find this:


I just looked on ebay and comparable titles by Jan Brett that were signed were going for $50 a piece. I paid a buck for it.
So, just for fun, I looked up all the titles I bought at the ARC online and got their shelf-price for all of them and came up with a total of about $100 ($150 if you count the signed copy). I then added up what I paid for everything (most of the titles I got were 50% off because I went on a Saturday and today, which was Martin Luther King Day)- $23 all together.
I originally went to get some new clothes for Linus because I've run out of stock from donations I received from moms of older boys at church (I would love to add up what I would have paid for all the clothes I got, but I'll save that for another day...), but every time I go to a thrift store I always have to stop in the childrens book section (Savers in Ft. Collins, which is now sadly closed, used to have a huge wall full of them and they were each 69 cents a piece, ARC isn't quite as good, but better than full price for sure). Our little kids library is full of thrift books, I love it. Craig scoffed at me when he saw me pull the books out of the bag and said "Don't we have enough books?" to which I promptly replied "NO! Not even close." When I was a kid we had a huge shelf full of kids books and each night I could go and pick one out to read before bed, I loved it! I wish I knew what happened to those books, but between all the moves we went through growing up they all disappeared, but I'm well on my way to creating our own collection.
Thank you ARC. You've made my life an affordable place to live.

4 comments:

Miss Becky said...

I just went to the ARC today (MLK Day) and bought books for Ammon! I also went scavaging for clothes too but I wound up with tons of books and one outfit.

Milmonster said...

What great book finds! I found a great chalk board for Audrey the other day at Goodwill. Love that place!

Milmonster said...

Oh and I posted some pictures on our blog. We love them!!!

Alli Howe said...

Every time I go to the ARC it is really impossible to avoid the books. Let me know what titles you are looking for and I can keep an eye out for them. Phin is really into the Little Critter books by Mercer Meyer. Loves em.