Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A sick computer

Our computer yesterday all of a sudden would not let me boot up. Bad news bear, I know. A blue screen that seemed to have a pageful of pertinent information on why it wasn't booting up would flash across the screen for about point two seconds and then disappear, giving me time to catch about two words before it was gone, and then a black screen would appear saying that the bootup failed and what mode would I like to try to restart it in? I chose every single one and it never started up, just kept going through the same blue screen/black screen cycle. Craig's dad brought it to work with him today to see if a friend of his could look at it for us, but I was almost in tears last night thinking about all the pictures, starting from when we bought our camera the Christmas we got married, through two newborns and life leading up until now, all the home videos from about two years, and all the music I've purchased on that computer that I HAVEN'T BACKED UP that could potentially be lost. I didn't even print pictures to start Linus's scrapbook! I have very few pictures on our desktop, and some videos on our camera we haven't downloaded yet, and aside from the ones in Chloe's birthday slideshows/ first year scrapbook, those are the only outside copies we have. Luckily I updated my iPod the night before this happened, so all my music is there, but if I lose those pictures I will be quite sad.
Just thought I would let everyone know. Wish I wasn't so dang dependent on a stupid computer...

3 comments:

Milmonster said...

Oh no, we hope you don't lose them! Makes you want to back up everything and print pictures right away!

ColoUtahEllingson said...

Sorry to hear that. Even if Dad's friend from work can't get the computer to boot there is still a chance that you can get some of the data off the hard drive. It may just be part of the hard drive that has become corrupt. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't throw out the hard drive, there may still be hope.

I'll try to remember to call you this weekend, there was a virus running around here on campus 5-6 weeks ago that had to do with USB drives, I can explain later.

The Waltz's said...

I don't have any advice on your computer issues (sorry-nearly illiterate there)but I DO have a comment about your family pictures. I LOVE THEM! Who took them? I'm trying to get back into photography....someday