Thursday, January 15, 2009

Yowzers!

Right after I dropped Chloe and Linus off at Grandma's house this morning, I was talking to Grandma for just a second when out of the corner of my eye I see Chloe slip on the stairs she was playing on and smack her face into the steps. She came up screaming and holding her mouth (which she often does, even if she doesn't hurt her mouth), but when we brought her into the kitchen, she was bleeding quite a bit out of her mouth. We located the owie: she had bit pretty hard right into the tip of her tongue. We had a hard time getting her to not curl her tongue in so Grandma could put a little pressure on it with a paper towel to get it to stop bleeding, but finally the bleeding ceased a little and she permitted us to view her tongue as she sheepishly stuck it out of her mouth through sobs and big fat tears. This picture was taken this evening about 7 or 8 hours later, but it still looks yucky.
The picture doesn't do it exact justice, but there's a good chunk of tongue flapping in the wind. From what I was told by a nurse, however, anything in the mouth heals quickly, and she was happy and able to eat pretty much just fine the rest of the day, so we didn't take her in to the doctor or anything.
This has been an interesting week for both our kids. Linus has had very icky poopy diapers for about the last month or so, maybe not quite that long, but close to it. As a result he's had a nasty diaper rash to accompany it. He was soiling about 7-10 extremely foul diapers a day, and Craig and I didn't think that was quite normal. So with the idea that it might possibly be something he was eating, like perhaps some type of allergy, I took him to the doctor just to be sure. She didn't run any tests or anything, gave me a couple of tips for the diaper rash, and instructed us to go ahead and take out wheat and dairy from his diet. Celiacs disease is a risk because it is in the family (which concerns gluten), which is the reason for both the wheat and the dairy. It's been one day so far and I actually changed two diapers today that were only wet, which I haven't done in a long time. However, I'm not betting on anything. It could be a number of different reasons and factors for bad diapers or good ones, so we'll do this for a couple of weeks and see what happens, and if it clears up, I'll introduce one or the other back into his diet and see what happens. I'm not too concerned about it being Celiacs disease- it seems like a major symptom of that at his age would be problems eating and problems putting on weight, and since he's not quite 8 months and 23 lbs, I'm fairly sure that's not an issue. But we'll see how it goes.
Other than that, life is busy, and good! Craig started back in school this week and I've taken on a number of guitar students and even a violin student (go figure, I went to school as a vocalist!). Still looking for people to take pictures of...and dreaming of becoming the next Ansel Adams in the meantime (yeah right!).
Love to all

3 comments:

Milmonster said...

Lots of drama at the Ellingson household! I haven't introduced Little Rose to Chloe yet. She still can't really focus on one thing at a time. Give us a few months and they'll be best friends. :)

Kristen said...

Snazzy blog. So artistic.

Papworth's said...

OUCH!! That made me cringe a bit. Poor thing. Don't you wish you could keep them safe and "hurt-free" forever. We've had some moments with little Will falling and hitting his head or face and it's so sad when they cry that hard. I'm glad they find comfort from us and they really think we can make it all better!! She and Linus are so so cute. P.S. I love the Washington park area. It's so pretty over there. We're in the Capitol Hill ward but there are only the two wards that meet in our building. Ours and Washington Park. Today feels like a great day to go to the park!! 66 out.