Sunday, September 18, 2011

TV time

From all you experienced mothers I draw so much from: I need your input.
Studies say no more than an hour of TV a day for kids.

My questions: is NO TV better than that or does it matter?
Currently my kids watch a 25 minute show or two a day in the morning on Netflix, usually so I can shower and/or finish dishes or get some other chore done before our day is completely started. There are others in this house *coughCRAIGcough* who think this is too much. That really, any TV is too much. Now, I am in no way defending my position here- I'm at a point now where it may be beneficial for us to let go of the TV and move on with life. I don't want my kids attached to it, and I know for certain there have been times where they've had too much TV when I was pregnant and/or at low points in my "working mommy" routine (it was really a crutch, I was weak, I admit it).
Now, we've rotated through shows that I feel are more educational. I'm not saying that a TV can replace education, however, media can be a powerful tool as well, if used in the right way. Currently they've watched Pinky-Dinky Doo, Word World, Sid the Science Kid, and for fun sometimes Backyardigans or Busytown Mysteries. A lot of times I talk to them when the show is over what the episode was about and try to connect that at times to what is going on in our day. I don't always sit with them through the whole episode (like when I'm showering, obviously, it's a babysitting tool in that case- I know that's a no-no, but it is what it is right now).
So, what do you think? Tell me your honest opinion. Is there anything that says no TV makes a big difference from a little TV? Obviously I need to do a little more research on my own as well, but sometimes the "mom-to-mom" gems I receive from you all are more beneficial to me than that.
Cheerio

3 comments:

Milmonster said...

Well, I never thought I would let Audrey watch as much tv as I do. Like you, I let her watch a show during my shower. And, she does not nap so after her hour of quiet time she usually gets to watch something until Zoe wakes up. I feel like this is too much but right now it keeps me sane. Its better if it is educational obviously. I think you are doing just fine. Maybe we should have a facebook post about what others do instead of letting their kids watch tv.

Angie said...

Yeah, I really have no idea, but Jay watches his good share of TV too. He only watches "Baby Einstien" dvd's or "praise baby" with worship songs on it. I guess he could be doing something else, but I feel like as much as other kids to play with are a distraction and fun, when you are the only one in the house and mommy and daddy are trying to get something done, it kind of distracts him (and teaches him)too. He learned the signs for "mommy and daddy" from a signing dvd. I wouldn't worry about what you are watching...besides those shows ARE very educational.
We'll miss you during pirate day tomorrow:)

The Coopers said...

I probably let Kenzie watch too much tv too. She is usually allowed one (or 2 if I need to shower and dry my hair) 25 min show a day. We usually stick to Word World. I think it has really helped her because she remembers the little songs and it has helped in her reading. Watching Letter Factory and Word Factory helped teach her how to read. I worked with her on everything too, but she remembers the little songs from that too. I think that tv can be a great educational tool if used correctly. I don't think that she necessarily needs the tv, we go for a week or so without even turning it on and she will do in her room with her books instead. The tv is just fun sometimes. Kenzie loves the movie Tangled, so it is nice after a crazy day of running around to have some down time and cuddle up on the couch and watch a movie. She is in enough activities and plays outside enough that I don't feel like the tv is turning her into a couch potato. :)