Sunday, June 5, 2011

Presenting Dr. Sharon Adams

That's right. See that pretty lady there?? That's my MOM! And she is now the prized possessor of a doctorate in Philosophy and Theology. YEAH!
She was working on finishing her bachelor's when we moved out to Colorado when I was 4/5 ish, so that's over 20 years in the making if you take it start to finish! Quite the accomplishment and I am proud and privileged to call this beautiful and brilliant woman my mother.


She has inspired an educational legacy with her three children. I attribute a lot of my graduating even after I got married and had two babies to her, education is so important!
Funny story about my mother. We grew up mostly in Boulder, CO and there are a lot of athletic avengers in Boulder. There are a lot everywhere, but people are health-conscious, to say the least, in Boulder maybe a little more-so than other places. I love it- I still crave the smell of health food stores sometimes at weird times of day (not a whole lot in the Greeley area, unfortunately) and there's not a time I step into one that I don't feel at home. :-) But there are always people out and about getting their exercise in any way they can in the streets: running, biking, jogging, hiking, you name it. Anytime we passed one while driving- no, every time we passed one while driving, this excited aura would come over my mother. You could see it in her face, her eyes glued to the person on the road, lips curling in anticipation, hands gripping the wheel, she would loudly erupt with a gutteral, almost primal and instinctual, "YOU GO GIRL!!!" Or boy, as it were. Sometimes the window was even rolled down. And my brother and sister and I would duck into our seats to keep from being seen.
So in honor of that, Mother, Dr. Sharon Adams, PhD, YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! With the window rolled down.

4 comments:

Milmonster said...

Love that story! And congrats to your mom! My mom finished her masters a few years back.

Grandma Sharon said...

Ahhhhh - thanks, Chel. You totally, absolutely, in so many ways - - I can't even begin to name -- are an inspiration to me! I can't wait to see you all this weekend!!
Love, Mom

Alli Howe said...

I remember you telling me about, "You go, girl!" Maybe I should start doing that in Fort Morgan to inspire more physical fitness... HOORAY for Dr. Sharon Adams.

9Giants said...

So why did the chicken cross the road?.......To seek her spirituality. he he he. That one is suppose to be really funny but probably is.