Thursday, June 24, 2010

Five Years

Today is our anniversary!! I wish I had a wedding picture I could post here, but they are all in hard copy and I haven't made a disk of any digital copies or anything yet, so I won't. It's been five years and it's been a very blissful five years. How are we celebrating, you ask? Well I spent the evening having a movie night with popcorn with the kids, putting Linus to bed early because he's got a fever, and then painting the baby room with my mother in law, who's anniversary is also today. Craig and his dad are both up at scout camp until Saturday, so of course my MIL and I went to work! :-) We'll celebrate when they come home. I did manage to put a bunch of "I love you because..." notes in hidden places in Craig's camping gear before he left this morning. I made the mistake of sticking one in his water bottle, though, which he found before he left as he was filling it up- it was supposed to be a surprise, but I'm sure he'll have fun finding them anyway.
Not to get too sappy or personal (because we all know it's just not in my nature to do that...) but I am pleased to say that I am a 100% more in love with Craig today than I was on this day five years ago. Marriage is a kick in the butt sometimes, but holy cow, I never in my entire life have felt more at home with anyone like I have Craig. He is my home. He is my family! I understand way more what it means to spend eternity happily with someone today than I did when I got married. Sometimes I wish I could go back and experience my wedding day all over again with Craig knowing what I know now. I wish I could look into his eyes at the altar and feel that sense of security and peace and hard working love that I feel now when I am with him. But the greatest part about that is that in many ways, I still get to do that every day. When we look at each other laughing at something one of the kids has done, when we work together on projects in and around the house, when we share insights with each other after our scripture study and share our testimonies and pray together, when we hit the pillow at the end of the day and talk about everything that is going on, good and bad, and apologize for being dumb when we got mad over this or that, and talk about the kids, and talk about our goals and changes we want to make for the better- I get to have him for forever!
At our wedding reception, with shaking hands and weak knees, I sang Craig the song "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds on my guitar. I feel that I truly am the luckiest, mostly because I know Craig feels the same way about me.
So since he's at scout camp, I have time to blog about how much I love him. :-) And paint our baby room, that was pretty exciting too.

2 comments:

Candie said...

Yeah! It's kinda funny... I remember your sunny wedding day like it was just last year, and then I thought "wow! They've only been married 5 years?!" Sure seems like I've known you longer than that. I'm so glad that you both are happy!!! May you have many, many more happy days together! (Glad to hear that you are up and about more too!)

Beth said...

We are so lucky to have you in our family!!!