Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Life happens to the best of us...

Yesterday I celebrated 14 weeks being pregnant.
Today was a good reminder that we are never exempt from trials.
The day started as usual, Craig had to leave early, so I got the kids fed and got Chloe ready for her preschool group. I put a movie in for the kids so I could go take a shower around 8:30. I got dressed and stared blow drying my hair and suddenly the normal feeling cramps I had been having that morning didn't feel so normal anymore. In fact they hurt pretty bad. I convinced myself that it was just gas or the baby was just growing, so I ignored it for a few minutes. When I got finished drying my hair, something told me I ought to call the doctor just in case. So I did. I debated on whether this was just a cheap way my subconscious was trying to find to get out of work that day, but I decided it was better to be safe than sorry. The cramping was constant and uncomfortable and painful. I described this to the nurse on the phone who told me that she wouldn't be able to tell me what was wrong over the phone, so I set up a time to come in at 10:30. I felt dumb, I was sure that I was going to just go in and they were going to tell me to go back to work, but I went ahead and got a sub for the day. My mother in law took Chloe to her preschool group and took Linus with her so I could get ready to go to the doctor. I sat down and quickly wrote out my plans for the sub, still feeling dumb until I stood up and realized that I'd been bleeding, pretty bad. I called my mother in law, I called Craig, and I called my doctor again and my mother in law, bless her heart, came right over and arranged so that she could drive me into the doctor. Forty minutes later we were in the ultrasound room looking at a healthy heart beat of a tiny baby in my tummy who, aside from looking a little cramped, looked very healthy. The lady doing the ultrasound was very kind and took measurements of the baby and printed me out some copies. I spotted some when I was pregnant with Chloe, and thought for sure that this must be the same thing, and the woman doing the ultrasound seemed to agree. We went back into the room, I called Craig and told him he probably wouldn't need to get off work, that the baby was fine, and that I would just rest and stay over at his mom's house for the day. A few minutes later, my doctor came in. My hope crashed to the floor as she explained that there was a large blood clot in my uterus, who knows why it's there, but it looks like my body is trying to miscarry the baby. There is a chance that it will heal on it's own and that I will just pass the clot and the pregnancy will carry on as normal. But there's also a chance that won't happen and that my body will pass the baby instead. There's nothing that I can really do, but pray and hope. I don't technically have to be on bed rest, but I shouldn't be lifting things or running marathons, so I plan on going to work after today if not only to keep my mind off of things until I know for sure what is going to happen. Craig came home and gave me a blessing and that comforted me in knowing that this is certainly in the Lord's hands and I trust in Him completely. We both are doing okay and have a lot of support from family at home, which helps immensely and which we are so grateful for. I will keep things posted as I know what is going on.
Tough times for sure, tough year for sure, but the Lord is over all and has suffered for us all, which means that he knows exactly what we are going through. That above all else will give us solace and peace.
Much love

5 comments:

Milmonster said...

Chelsea, I'm so sorry. I hope and pray that things will happen as they need to and you and the baby will be healthy. Too bad about that marathon you were going to run:) Hang in there.

Lori said...

I'm sorry, Chelsea. How scary! I hope everything works out to be okay with you and the baby.

Candie said...

You made me cry Chels! I really wish I was there too. Even if just to give you a big hug and say "I understand". I am so grateful we have the gospel of Jesus Christ to help get us through scary times like these. He is with you and watching over that little baby of yours. Hang in there. Call me if you need anything! We are praying for you!

Candie said...

Also remember that you are carrying HIS baby, you are HIS daughter and He always knows what's best for all of us!

Katielin317 said...

Thinking of you, Chels.