Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Oh my gosh, I'm going to have a baby!

Kinda sneaks up on me sometimes.
Went to the doctor today for my *weekly!!* checkup. I'm at 37 weeks, which puts me at a bonafied full-term pregnancy. And I can delivery over at the Medical Center of the Rockies (15 minutes from our house, the new hospital in Loveland off of I-25- haven't heard much about it either way, but at least we'll have a nice new room).
Current stats: two weeks ago my cervix was high and closed. I expected it to be the same today, but I am actually at 2 cm right now and Dr. B says I've thinned out a little bit, but not much. She thoughtfully encouraged the baby to come this weekend on her way out of the appointment when she will be on call at MCR. Hopefully the baby will take heed. I somewhat suspect that she may have ruptured my membranes today...the only reason I say that is because getting checked today was more painful than I remember it being with my last two pregnancies, but that doesn't really mean much. She was putting quite a bit of pressure down there, telling me that she was just making sure she was feeling the head. But I don't know her to be the type of doctor to do that without telling the patient, so maybe that was just wishful thinking. :-) But she did tell me that I am OFF of bed rest, modified, regular, I'm done (wahooo!!!!) The point is no longer to keep the baby in there. I kind of assumed that, but I was surprised to find myself happier about this news than I thought I would be. I picked up my kids at Grandma's house and gave Linus a piggy back ride home to celebrate, first time I've done that in 6 months. I have grand aspirations of scrubbing my house from head to toe tomorrow...but we'll see what my energy level is tomorrow. Unfortunately I still feel 9 months pregnant, whether I'm on rest or not. Anyway, when Dr. B jokingly encouraged the baby to come this weekend, it sort of hit me: I've spent this whole pregnancy waiting to "have the baby at any time", and figured there was no use preparing for it because if it happened, it was going to be chaotic anyway, and if it didn't no use fretting about it. However it dawned on me that we're actually going to have to, like, take out the carseat and put it in the car, pack a bag, make sure the kids will be taken care of, get all my SCHOOL stuff put together now, start really timing contractions and not just ignoring them...this baby is actually coming! I don't think tomorrow, but it will be here before the end of the month. Weird. I was trying to remember when I was pitted at being 2 cm with Chloe and Linus how long it took before I went into labor- I don't think it was within a week, I remember with both of them being very impatient about it all. Well, it's started anyway. And it's nice to actually be surprised by it this time instead of anxiously waiting for it. Yay!

3 comments:

Angie said...

I am so excited for you. I hope everything goes well, and can't wait to meet your little one.

Milmonster said...

Yes Chels you are going to have a baby! Funny girl. Good luck and just have fun getting everything together

Candie said...

You scared me there for a second with your post title. I thought you meant you were having a baby today! Well, at least now you have a few days to get prepared. I really wish I could be there. Good luck with number 3. What are your plans for this birth? Natural or drugs? Names? Igor the 3rd... I'm hoping maybe Igora. :) Love you guys. We'll keep you in our prayers. And you don't need luck... look at what you've done so far!