Friday, March 5, 2010

No news IS good news

I meant to post like three days ago, but I had a program last night and have spent every night this week preparing for it and also just being beat tired, so I'm posting this morning instead!
Tuesday's appointment yielded these results:
  • The baby is still healthy and well and was squirming around happily during the ultrasound. Yay!
  • Last week my cervix had shrunk down to 2cm. The doctor told me this, but I didn't know what it meant, so I asked about it when I got there this time. Smaller cervixes are not as strong as longer ones and are less able to hold the baby in. Seeing my cervix so small was the biggest indicator last week that I might be miscarrying, in addition to the large blood clot. This week my cervix stretched back out to a nice long 3 cm and my doctor was "thrilled" to see this.
  • The clot has not yet passed, but it has darkened significantly in color and my doctor said it looks as though it will dilute, break up and pass. I will start bleeding again when this occurs (oh joy!), but as long as it stays dark than I'm okay. I have no idea when it will pass, I have no idea how long it will take to pass, I have no idea what to expect other than to make sure I'm not bleeding bright red.
  • The blod clot is 8cm by 6cm by 2cm, roughly the size of a silver dollar. It's big.
  • I still have to take it easy and in the meantime have to reluctantly sit down and let other people do simple things for me. I feel dumb because I myself feel fine, but I have to remember that it's not my life necessarily that I'm trying to preserve here. Whenever someone offers to move a chair for me or insist that I sit down, my initial reaction is to shoo them off and tell them I'm fine, and then I think about how I would feel if the worst still came around and I only was left with trying to scrutinize and figure out what stupid thing it was I did that caused it. So I just bite my tongue and say thank you. Last night we had a music program and I had to finally leave as everyone was cleaning up because I couldn't move the curtains, I couldn't pick anything up, I couldn't stack chairs, I couldn't move stands or props and I was only sitting there for moral support. But if it means that everything works out fine in the end, I will be grateful for it.
My next appointment is in two weeks and until that point I just stay the course and hope this clot passes sometime so I don't have to sit and fret about it anymore. We're just happy the baby is still okay and that things are significantly better than they were last week! Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. If there is one thing I've realized through all this is that it's okay to rely on other people's faith as well as my own and trust that things will be okay. We all need each other and we all pray for each other and we all are loved and prayed for in return. It's a beautiful thing.
And life is good. :-)

5 comments:

Milmonster said...

Thanks for the update. I know taking it easy is hard. Just enjoy the time to relax because in a few months it is something you won't be able to do:)

Lindsey said...

I'm so glad to hear that. Just take it easy and don't worry,right? Ha. That's pretty near impossible but I know you're strong & your kids will make you feel somewhat better. Just go look at them laugh. :)

Katielin317 said...

Relief. Or at least some, right? So glad you're keeping us updated. I think of you often.

Emily said...

Yes, thank you for the update!!! Glad things are going well and seriously you really should just relax because you are about to have three under three REMEMBER! Whoa momma!!

The Yarbrough Clan said...

Great to hear!!!